Sunday, June 14, 2009
Parenting advice
I was reading a book on how to deal with your five-year-old in an attempt to get a good idea, when I came across a paragraph on discipline. It said that discipline (punishment) should be only reserved for behaviors that (1) threaten physical harm, (2) destroy or threaten to destroy property, or (3) annoy you beyond a reasonable amount. So, I thought, what actions (especially if you add "mental" or "emotional" to physical harm) would be left out of this? Most behavior in our home during the day seem to fall into one of these three categories. I finished the book and decided my five-year-old was not one of their typical five-year-olds; there didn't seem to be much help there. Good parenting book suggestions are always welcome
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Write one. That is my suggestion.
I'm always on the lookout for a good parenting book. I've read a few and have yet to find the be-all-end-all book when it comes to parenting. One that I did find pretty helpful was How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk by Adele Faber.
"Parenting with Love and Logic" by authors Cline and Fay is a helpful book. I haven't read it for a while, so I recently put it on hold at the library so I can see if I want to buy it.
Like Kristi said, it's not the answer to everything, but some of the tactics in the book really helped me. Time to read it again now that I have a teenager!
Ok, I just went back and reviewed the book a bit online to refresh my memory, and you just have to ignore the bits of mis-guided religious stuff, and then lots of the rest of the book is helpful. I'll have to read the one suggested by Kristi.
I think you should write one too.
The only parenting book I've read is the Book of Mormon. So far it's been helpful--we'll see if I'm still a good mom when I actually have a child!
Post a Comment