Thursday, May 7, 2009

Monthly menu

I'm still working on the menu for the month of May and have a few gaps that need to be filled. I need some new ideas for main dishes for dinner. Do you have a recipe you discovered in the last year that you now make almost every month or so? Please help.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

I wish!

I'll have to come back to check on your comments.

Amy T said...

Wow. This past year hasn't been so great for menus and new recipe ideas. My number one quick meal is taco salad. Everyone eats it; it takes less than ten minutes total to have on the table (with already cooked or canned beef or chicken). I have been trying some soups and when in doubt will use top rated recipes on recipezaar.

I'll also be waiting for other good ideas... :)

RM Bowers said...

Ditto Amy's comment. Tacos or taco salad is one of our staples, but it is not a new recipe idea. I serve refried beans with the tacos, and I add a few drops of smoke flavor. Dallin will only eat tostadas, so I have half a package each of tostada shells and taco shells.

I've tried a few new recipes from various sources, mostly online stuff. Mainly I try these after I've not had good results with a current recipe. I've tried stuff like chicken alfredo and orange chicken, but none of them made it onto my "list." I did find a recipe for perfect buttermilk biscuits. Even Dallin will eat them.

It's pretty discouraging to try new things if the children come in to see what you're cooking and say yuck, and then refuse to eat more than one bite, and that one bite was taken under dire threat.

This time of the year we shift more to cool/veggie dinners. We had corn on the cob as a main dish Saturday night with grapes, zucchini, squash, and chard as side dishes.

After looking at grills for months, we finally found a good quality Weber grill for a price we liked. So now we can grill stuff in the summer instead of heating up the kitchen.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Eliza said...

OK, so what were some of Cactus Gal's recipes she discovered this past year? I would like to see the buttermilk biscuit recipe.

Kristi said...

Ditto again to the above comments. Few of my newly discovered recipes have gone over well with my girls, so we mostly stick to the staples of spaghetti, tacos, pizza, and a few variations of chicken and rice.