It appears that I'm not the only person suffering through menu "block." So, over the next few weeks I'll try and post some recipes that I have tried and that worked for us. Some of them may come from the cookbook and have just been rediscovered. Here's the first one:
Pulled pork sandwiches
3 lbs. boneless pork loin or boneless pork chops (about 6 thick chops)
1 package McCormick slow cooker "pulled pork" seasoning
Follow the instructions on the seasoning package to cook the meat (it involves mixing cider vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, and the seasoning). I started with frozen pork chops and cooked the meat in the slow cooker for about 8 hours. After the meat is cooked, pull out any fat that hadn't already been cut off the meat previously. Shred the meat using two forks. Mix back in with the sauce, adding about 1/2 cup of water if necessary. Serve on buns. I used the Hamburger Bun recipe since I had some time while I was waiting for the electrician and the drywall guy. I will probably see if I can find another source or recipe for a seasoning (Penzey's?) so I don't have to rely on a package.
Hamburger Buns
1 Tb. yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup milk, scalded and cooled (or 1/3 cup powdered milk and hot water to make 1 cup)
1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted
2 Tb. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
4-3/4 cups flour (can use 1 cup whole wheat flour)
Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Combine milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs, and half of flour. Beat for 2 minutes. Beat in remaining flour and knead until smooth and elastic. Cover and rise to double in bulk. Punch down and form 2-inch balls. Place on greased cookie sheets. Press flat with hand. Let rise almost double (30 minutes). You can brush the tops with 1 egg and 1 tsp. water (or egg yolk and milk) combined to make a wash. Sprinkle with sesame, celery, caraway, poppy seeds, or dried onion flakes. Bake 15 minutes at 375°. Cool about 5 minutes and turn out on rack. Can freeze finished buns.
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
We had the pulled pork today (thanks for the recipe!). It turned out really well and was quite easy. I got a pork loin (about 4 pounds) and the meat came apart really nicely.
I didn't find the seasoning packet at one store, but happily found it at another. So, if anyone figures out a recipe substitution let me know!
My kids hate the smell of cider vinegar, but they sure don't turn up their noses at the final product! (I use it in several recipes including a kind of Puerto Rican black beans.)
Thanks for the recipes.
Post a Comment