Friday, April 3, 2009

Breakfast ideas?

In order for me to have time to exercise (from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m.), Kirk has been fixing breakfasts most days. So, here's the typical breakfasts for Monday through Friday: cold cereal, oatmeal, cold cereal, oatmeal, cold cereal. Then, if we are busy on Saturday and have early morning meetings and church on Sunday, it might be cold cereal two more days. I should note that the cereal is Shredded Wheat, Chex, or Cheerios, so it is pretty healthy considering everything. Occasionally, Kirk might do French toast or cinnamon toast. The problem is that none of the children like or will eat cold cereal, so I usually have yogurt or toast as an option when they get up. If I have time or don't have my exercise class then, of course, we get more variety with muffins, pancakes, or waffles. I was wondering if you have any ideas for "instant" breakfasts that I could bring into the mix.

9 comments:

Tiffany said...

Well, I'm not one to talk because we do cold cereal every week day! The only ideas I could come up with are a simple granola (I sometimes do a very basic/inexpensive oat one without dried fruits or nuts) that might add something to the yogurt, be a substitute for cold cereal, or jazz up cold cereal.

The other option I can think of is to bake and freeze ahead the muffins, pancakes (that I haven't done much), and waffles. They should defrost fairly quickly. The waffles just toast right up in the toaster. Or, any other baked good like a bagel would be the same...

I guess there are smoothies--but they aren't quite so instant. If you want you can make up baggies of mixed, cut fruit and freeze. Then you just get those out, dump them in a blender, add your milk/juice and blend. That should be fairly quick. (But I always think of a smoothie of a treat or my fruit instead of an actual meal...)

RM Bowers said...

Amy made some delicious steel cut oats when we were visiting. She makes them the night before and then we just heated up in the microwave. I tried it when I got home, but I couldn't get them to work. I need to try again.

I normally don't like oatmeal, but I liked the steel cut oats.

James Tanner said...

For the past couple of months we have gone back to oatmeal and cracked wheat. I really like both and have no trouble eating them every day. I do like eggs and toast every so often, usually on a day we don't have an early schedule. And on occasion we even have some bacon. Ann fixes pancakes and waffles and we have had a few innovative breakfasts like granola and yogurt.

RT and M said...

I like to cut up bananas in slices and put those on top of most kinds of cereal. That might be a nice way to add some variety to cold cereal.

I haven't tried making this yet, but my neighbor and her sister cook whole wheat or cracked wheat overnight in the crockpot, and their families love it for breakfast with a little bit of butter and milk. They cook quite a bit and then refrigerate it, and the leftovers still taste really good--I tried some and really liked it and would probably make it if I had my supply of wheat. Apparently you can also grind up rice (not as fine as rice cereal--about like cracked wheat) and eat it with milk and sugar.

Around Easter my family generally has a lot of boiled and dyed eggs, which they eat (plain) for breakfast with toast or maybe cereal. It doesn't take too long to prepare a boiled egg if you have several cooked beforehand.

Eliza said...

Thanks for all the suggestions. The only one I can't really try is cracked wheat since Kirk won't eat it and I ate some when I was pregnant and was sick afterward--which means it is ruined for me for a very long time. Cheerios have also been ruined for me with pregnancy sickness; I haven't had them for 1-1/2 years.

Kristi said...

I live everyone's suggestions. Jared and I almost always eat oatmeal, and we try to coax the girls to do the same. On saturdays when we have more time we make a double batch of pancakes or waffles, and the leftovers see the girls through the first few days of the week. They keep fine in the fridge for 3-4 days, just add butter and syrup and microwave for 15 seconds and they're good to go.

Amy T said...

Breakfast burritos. I make them two or three dozen at a time and freeze. The kids can microwave them.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Breakfast-Burritos-Once-a-Month-Cooking-30165

Half an egg per burrito is just right. I use turkey sausage, diced cooked potato, etc., then wrap in foil or a plastic ziploc bag.

It's quite a project, so I usually make them in steps. Make filling and refrigerate, then later warm the tortillas and make the burritos.

If you find freezer waffles on sale, they can be quite economical and not too unhealthy.

Kristi said...

Ummm, I meant to say I "like" everyone's suggestions. :)

Jared said...

I figured out that if you put enough brown sugar (and some cinnamon) on oatmeal, it's quite edible and slightly more filling than cold cereal. I can usually last a few hours on oatmeal before I feel like I have to eat again before I pass out.