Sunday, May 2, 2010

Recipe request

I mentioned the grilled chipotle flank steak tacos in a previous post. Here's the recipe I used, with my modifications.

Take 1 can of chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. You can use the whole can (4-5 oz?) as is, or if you want to make it less spicy, take the peppers out and carefully scrape out the seeds and membranes. Put all the peppers and canned sauce in a blender. Add 1-2 Tb. oil (I used olive oil) and 2-3 Tb. water. Blend everything until it is a smooth paste. Spread a few tablespoons of the paste over both sides of the flank steak. Grill the steak. Flank steak usually cooks quickly, sometimes in just 3-4 minutes on each side depending on your grill. Take the steak off, and, if you have time, let it rest for 5-10 minutes, covered with aluminum foil. Slice the steak in thin strips across the grain.

In the meantime, slice a large onion and saute it over low heat until carmelized (brown and sweet).

Mix the strips of steak and onion together and serve in warm corn (or flour) tortillas. I diced some avocados and we put that on the tacos. (This is not a Tex-Mex type of taco with cheese and sour cream and stuff--this is the more traditional chopped steak in a corn tortilla taco). This was a very good dinner. We served the tacos with rice, black beans, and salad.

This sauce can also be used on chicken or fish, though I haven't tried it on these.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Sounds good! All we need is a grill and people who would eat this with me. :)