Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Vegetables in Garlic Butter

1 lb. vegetables (Brussels sprouts cut in half, green beans, etc.)
1-1/2 Tb. butter
1-1/2 Tb. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, slightly smashed
Salt
Pepper
Parmesan cheese, if desired
Heat the butter, olive oil, and garlic in a saucepan until the garlic is lightly browned. Remove the garlic. Add the vegetables, being careful not to get splattered with hot oil when they hit the oil. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are done. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

This recipe was originally for Brussels sprouts and it is probably the only way that Brussels sprouts taste good. In fact, they were so good, I wanted to eat all of them myself and not share. (And I thought Brussels sprouts were among the worst vegetables to eat.) However, this technique can also be used for other vegetables, making a nice side dish to almost any meal. For example, I tried it on green beans yesterday.

No comments: